GDS Transmission Services assists load-serving entities, transmission providers, independent generating companies, and state regulatory agencies with their “open access” issues. In addition to today’s competitive issues, GDS also offers expertise in cost-of-service issues.
The complexity of the U.S. power grid continues to affect market participants’ access to the regional transmission system, causing both generators and load serving entities to face significant challenges in taking advantage of new opportunities in new markets. With fragmented transmission systems, fractured energy markets and faltering infrastructure, it takes a steady hand to guide companies through the rubble of industry restructuring and help them reach their goals.
TRANSMISSION OPERATIONS AND MAINTENANCE
GDS has the hands-on experience to help clients get the most from their capital investments in transmission facilities. GDS provides assistance with:
- The application of Reliability Centered Maintenance principles
- Development of maintenance specifications and work plans
- In-depth analysis of maintenance test data
- Development of transmission equipment specifications
- Vendor negotiation and witness testing
Constant upgrades to the Bulk Electric System are necessary in order to sustain and improve the flow of electricity. GDS has experience in conducting technical studies, assessments and analysis in order to validate proposed system upgrades.
- TPL assessments
- Facility impact analysis
- Generator interconnection studies
- Deliverability Studies
BILLING AND SETTLEMENTS
Once the regulatory dust has settled and clients are functioning in the new environment, two questions remain: “Did I get the service I wanted?” “Was I charged appropriately for the service I received?” GDS works with its clients to ensure they receive accurate billing and settlement information from their transmission service providers and/or RTOs.
- Analysis of ISO/RTO Billing Data
- Billing systems development
- FTR/ARR analysis and valuation
- Tagging, scheduling, and market interfaces/settlements
Energy markets serve as a basis for meeting the supply and demand for energy. Market participants submit forecasted demand bids, resource offers and other load and resource information in order to satisfy market requirements. GDS offers various market services in order to ensure that Market Participants meet both day-ahead and real-time obligations.
- Asset acquisition strategies
- Resource adequacy deliverability evaluation
- Transmission rights strategies
- Settlement Statement Review and ADR Support
LITIGATION SUPPORT AND EXPERT TESTIMONY
GDS Transmission Services offers assistance in developing expert testimony before local, state, or federal regulatory bodies and support in areas dealing with the transmission system. GDS can provide transmission market power analysis and transmission cost-of-service issues resolution.