Dan J. Wittliff
MANAGING DIRECTOR ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES | AUSTIN, TEXAS
Dan Wittliff, P.E., DEE, F. NSPE, prior to joining GDS Associates, was Principal of Dan Wittliff Consulting, PLLC. This firm provided professional engineering services in environmental engineering, regulatory affairs, and energy systems.
From 1995 through 1999, Dan served as the first Chief Engineer for the TNRCC. Upon leaving TNRCC, he worked with Naismith Engineering, Inc. for two years providing consulting services to a wide array of industrial and municipal clients. Before service with TNRCC, Dan served in several supervisory positions with West Texas Utilities Company, Abilene, TX managing and monitoring power station performance to include issues related to air pollution, water treatment, industrial hygiene, and solid waste disposal.
The National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE) House of Delegates elected Dan as President in 2012–13. Since joining NSPE in 1972, Dan has served in various leadership positions including president of the Abilene Chapter and the Texas Society of Professional Engineers where he was honored as Engineer of the Year in 1998 and Distinguished Engineer of the Texas Engineering Foundation in 2001. He was made a Fellow of NSPE in 2004.
Dan is also a frequent speaker at engineering and trade association conferences and seminars and has published articles in industry journals. He also serves on the Board of Advisors to the Environmental and Civil Engineering Department of Southern Methodist University where he taught a graduate course in construction management.
Dan retired in 2002 from the United State Air Force Reserve at the rank of colonel. His active duty career included a stint as the commander of communications organization on a mountaintop in Central Turkey. His military awards and distinctions include the Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters, Outstanding Graduate of Air War College, and the Air Force Communications-Electronics Professionalism Award.
- Southern Methodist University – B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, 1972
- University of Oklahoma – Master of Business Administration, 1975
- Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Permitting (Air, Waste, Wastewater, Water, and Stormwater)
- Multi-Media Environmental Auditing and Compliance
- Power Generation Siting, Testing and Evaluation, and Performance
- Regulatory Analysis and Coordination
- National Society of Professional Engineers (President 2012-2013 and Fellow)
- Texas Society of Professional Engineers (Past State President)
- American Academy of Environmental Engineers (Diplomate, General; Member Board of Trustees)
- Solid Waste Association of North America (TxSWANA and SWANA)
- Air and Waste Management Association
- Reserve Officers Association
- Society of American Military Engineers
- Industrial Advisory Committee, Texas Board of Professional Engineers