As the U.S. power grid has been opened up to allow new market participants access to the regional transmission system, both generators and load serving entities face significant challenges in taking advantage of these new opportunities. With fragmented transmission systems, fractured energy markets and faltering infrastructure, it takes a steady hand to guide companies through the rubble of industry restructuring and help them reach their goals. GDS Transmission Services assist load-serving entities, transmission providers, independent generating companies, and state regulatory agencies with their “open access” issues and has the planning, operations, regulatory, and engineering experience necessary to assist its' clients in navigating through these challenging times. In addition to today's competitive issues, GDS also offers expertise in the areas of transmission maintenance, equipment procurement, and cost-of-service issues.
- Power Flow Analysis
- Short Circuit Analysis
- Transfer Limit/AFC Studies
- New Interconnection Evaluation
- Control Area Development
- Participation in Regional Planning, Markets, and Operations Groups
- Transmission Service Requests and Applications
Transmission Operations and Maintenance
- Application of Reliability Centered Maintenance Principles
- Development of Maintenance Specifications and Work Plans
- Analysis of Maintenance Test Data
- Development of Transmission Equipment Specifications
- Vendor Negotiation and Witness Testing
Tariff Development and Administration
Development and implementation of the regulatory and commercial implications of the changing world of Open Access Transmission requires a firm with the ability to provide advice and assistance to its clients to help them be prepared for and manage the new environment. GDS staff has helped multiple entities understand the requirements of FERC open access policy and be able to establish and update practices to handle the complexities of energy delivery.
- OATT Development and Modifications
- Evaluation of OASIS Business Practices
- OASIS Business Practice Development and Training
Billing and Settlements
Once the regulatory dust has settled and clients are functioning in the new environment, two questions remain - Did I get the service I wanted and did I get charged appropriately for the service I received? GDS works with its clients to ensure they receive accurate billing and settlement information from their transmission service providers and/or RTOs.
- Analysis of ISO/RTO Billing Data
- Billing Systems Development
- FTR/ARR Analysis and Valuation
- Tagging, Scheduling, and Market Interfaces/Settlements
As RTOs continue to develop and grow, the transmission landscape is being reshaped almost continuously. It is critical that clients be involved in and understand the implications of the policy and process development activities, and attempt to develop rules that meet clients' business needs. GDS provides representation and analysis of various RTO development activities for our clients in multiple jurisdictions.
- New Market Implementation
- New Entrant Participation
- Regional Working Group Representation
- Protocol Development
- RTO Seams Issues
Litigation Support and Expert Testimony
Any time there is upheaval in markets and new structures are being developed disagreements between parties inevitably arise. Sometimes these instances require resolution before local, state, or federal regulatory bodies. When those situations require testimony or litigation, GDS is there to assist its clients by developing expert testimony and support in areas dealing with the Transmission System.
- Transmission Market Power Analysis
- Transmission Cost-of-Service Issues